single jutted tooth can make the difference between a flawed smile and a beautiful smile. When one or more jutted teeth detract from the beauty of the smile, treatment for a jutted tooth can help. At Contemporary Dental Arts, we offer a wide range of cosmetic dentistry treatments to address dental flaws. To find out if treatment for a jutted tooth is right for you, schedule a consultation with Williston, VT dentist Lauren Shanard. In the meantime, learn more about treatment options as we take a closer look at jutted teeth.
A JUTTED TOOTH ISN'T JUST A COSMETIC CONCERN
A jutted tooth, which is a tooth that extends beyond the other teeth, can present more than just a cosmetic issue. One or more jutted teeth can lead to oral health issues such as:
- Alignment Issues: Jutted teeth can result in misalignment. When alignment issues are present, it can lead to jaw strain, neck pain, and constant dull headaches.
- Uneven enamel wear: Jutted teeth can impact how the teeth contact each other when biting and chewing. Over time, this can lead to uneven enamel wear and put the teeth at risk of tooth decay and further damage.
- Gum disease and tooth decay: Jutted teeth that overlap neighboring teeth can make it difficult to effectively clean the teeth, leaving behind plaque and food remnants. This can increase the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
TREATMENTS FOR A JUTTED TOOTH
Whether you have a single jutted tooth or multiple jutted teeth, treatment can straighten the teeth and transform the smile's appearance. The type of treatment used will depend on the number of jutted teeth, the severity of protrusion, along with other patient needs. With that said, one of the following treatments may be right for you:
- Porcelain Veneers: Porcelain veneers may be used as “instant orthodontics” to treat a mildly jutted tooth. With porcelain veneers treatment, the appearance of individual, flawed teeth can be improved, making this treatment optimal for those with only one or two jutted teeth. Porcelain veneers fit over the front surface of the teeth to improve dental appearance and enhance the smile.
- Braces: Traditional orthodontics using braces are a highly effective treatment for straightening one or more jutted teeth. Braces may be used for mild jutting or severe jutting, making it a suitable treatment option for many people with jutted teeth.
- Invisalign®: Invisalign® provides patients with an aesthetically pleasing orthodontic treatment option for correcting jutted teeth. Rather than using metal braces, like traditional orthodontics, Invisalign® realigns the teeth using a series of clear, plastic trays. The trays may be removed when eating or for ease of brushing and flossing the teeth, making treatment comfortable and convenient.
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION WITH DR. SHANARD
Don't let a jutted tooth keep you from smiling. To find out which treatments are right for you, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Shanard.